Friday, May 8, 2009

Quick Hits - The Cards edition

A little more than a month gone in the season... The start that the Cardinals have had in 2009 has been a fast one. Actually their best start since 1944 - a world championship year.

*Adam Wainwright. Adam Wainwright is a brilliant pitcher with great stuff but he hasn't been quite himself yet this season. His curve is still one of the best I have I ever seen but he isn't working the counts like he should - his pitch counts are too high. He admits that is disappointed in himself. His first loss only came this past week but he isn't quite firing on all cynlinders. Likely he is taking too much on his shoulders with Carpenter out and is trying to do too much. He just needs to figure it and I have no doubt he will.

*People are talking about the Triple Crown for Albert already. Let's slow down. I have no doubt that something special is happening as we watch this man play baseball but if he is in this situation in August then we can talk about him being the first National League player to win the Triple Crown since Joe Medwick in 1937.

*When Troy Glaus is ready to come off the DL I wonder what will come of the fantastic combination of Brian Barden and Joe Thurston. I say trade Troy and keep the momentum going with these two rookies. And congratulations to Brian Barden for being the National League Rookie of the Month.

*Scary moment when Rick Ankiel face planted straight into the wall on Monday night. Very glad that no serious injury resulted from his hard play. He is fine...just needs time to recover. So welcome in hot prospect Shane Robinson to take his place on the roster.

*I think we can now officially count Kyle Lohse in the long line of great Dave Duncan success stories. A mediocre pitcher who was rescued by Duncan and is now mowing them down. Welcome to the Woody Williams Club, Kyle.

*Manny being Manny... wow! Surprised but in no way shocked about Manny being busted and suspended. When will these players learn? And the always classy Joe Torre has to clean up the mess. At this point does any of this still tarnish baseball? I don't think so anymore. Just old hat these days I guess. It annoys me a lot but what can be done?

*And finally, during yesterday's businessman's special I had a feeling I haven't had since the 2006 World Series. We have a legitimate closer again! Thank you Ryan Franklin. Thank you. The Cards lead the majors currently with 11 saves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers