Friday, October 9, 2009

HEARTBREAK

Throughout the past decade I have been blessed to be able to watch the Cardinals play in the postseason on a fairly regular basis with 7 division titles in the past 10 years. That has created a mentality as a Cardinal fan that winning the division is just what we expect but winning the division is not what satisfies a Cardinal fan. We expect deep playoff runs. We expect to make it to the NLCS and we expect to be a force to be reckoned with for all our opponents.

2009 appears to be vastly different.

2009 appears to be the year where we can’t put it together when it matters.

2009 appears to be the year when Cardinal fans will get a glimpse into the pain that Cub fans have had to endure.

Here is the Cardinals playoff history for this decade.

2000 Cardinals: 95-67, Division Champs, Won NLDS over Atlanta (3-0), Lost to New York in NLCS (4-1)

2001 Cardinals: 93-69, co-Division Champs w/ Houston, Lost NLDS to eventual WS Champion Arizona (3-2)

2002 Cardinals: 97-65, Division Champs, Won NLDS over Arizona (3-0), Lost to San Francisco in NLCS (4-1)

2004 Cardinals: 105-57, Division Champs, best record in MLB, Won NLDS over Los Angeles (3-1), Won NLCS over Houston (4-3), Lost to Boston in WS (4-0)

2005 Cardinals: 100-62, Division Champs, best record in MLB, Won NLDS over San Diego (3-0), Lost to Houston in NLCS (4-2)

2006 Cardinals: 83-78, Division Champs, Won NLDS over San Diego (3-1), Won NLCS over New York (4-3), Won WS over Detroit (4-1)

2009 Cardinals: 91-71, Division Champs, ????

When looking at all those numbers you would see that the Cardinals have had plenty of disappointment (2004 WS) and heartbreak (2001 NLDS) in the playoffs. They have played like unstoppable forces (2006 WS, 2004 NLCS) but also like hopeless fools (2000 NLCS).

It is very possible that 2009 can be added to the heartbreak or fool category.

As of this morning the 2009 Cardinals seemed poised to make a very quick exit from the playoffs. Not two days ago I was singing the praises of mid season acquisition Matt Holliday and this morning I can’t stand the sight of him.

Now I admit that is a tad irrational but when your favorite team is in the playoffs one tends to not be rational. There is just too much raw emotion in the playoffs.

Many would think that losing the 2004 World Series to Boston after that magical season and the thrilling NLCS would have been the ultimate heartbreak but for some reason it wasn’t. I was extremely sad for my favorite Cardinal team of all time that they didn’t win it all but they were never in that World Series at all. It never seemed within grasp. For me personally, one of the most heartbreaking exits was the 2001 NLCS to Arizona. Matt Morris and Curt Schilling battled pitch for pitch in that series and it was eventually lost in the bottom of the 9th in Game 5. A series as close as that was is crushing to lose but someone has to lose, as the Mets came to learn in the 2006 NLCS.

I know I am talking like they have already been eliminated but that blunder made by Holliday is looking like our Bill Buckner, Bartman moment in history. Most teams not called the Yankees seem to have them but that doesn’t make it any less crushing.

Matt Holliday catches that ball, today is a different day. I wouldn’t be in a terrible mood this morning, the Cardinals would be returning to STL tied 1-1, and Wainwright’s brilliant effort would not have been wasted.

So Matt Holliday could very likely bolt for New York, Boston, Los Angeles or Chicago and the St. Louis Cardinals and the Cardinals fans will be left with that searing image of the ball hitting him in the stomach and there would lie Holliday’s Cardinal legacy.

3 comments:

  1. Holliday gets hit in the stomach: what an appropriate metaphor for the end of the Cardinal season. That's not to say we're out, but seriously, what the hell do we do now??

    I tried watching the Office afterwards to alleviate some of my grief, which helped a bit (it's hard not to laugh at Kevin wearing a toupee and kleenex-box shoes), but as soon as the commercials started I was back to being angry again.

    I just hope the bats pick up for saturday and Joel takes care of business like Adam did. If we can win tomorrow, do you think Tony will put Carp out there on Sunday?? It's 3 days rest, but it also might be the last start of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing buddy. Watched The Office but I could not fully enjoy it since I was shaking with anger.

    If we win tomorrow I really have no clue what Tony will do. He going to keep Torre and the Dodgers guessing but I would think yes he will go with Carp.

    How much did you wish that Smoltzie was in there last night instead of Franklin?

    I really have been miserable all day because of this game. I really do think it was by far the worst postseason loss of our lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw Smoltz throwing next to Trevor Miller, I thought "YES!" MIller will come in and face his one batter, as he always does, and then Smoltz will finish things up (since he's got such a dominating postseason history). I hate when I'm wrong.

    I thought the last three games against Atlanta in 1996 were pretty devastating. If you combined the disappointment from all three of those losses, I think it would come damn close to what we experienced last night.

    I usually try not to get emotionally involved in sports, but it was really hard not to be the past 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete

Followers