Friday, February 27, 2009

Justify My Love


So this is not a post about that hideous song that everyone skips over at the end of Madonna's glorious compilation album of 1990, The Immaculate Collection.   You know the Madonna album that everyone owns.   No this is about Joaquin Phoenix and my former love of him.    

And just to be clear - the flame has been extinguished.  For many obvious reasons.  

Joaquin has lost his skittles.  Or is this just what he wants us to think?  Is he a madman or genius?  Is he an Oscar nominated actor or soon to be hip-hop/rap 'star'?  No one really knows for sure but I think it is safe to say that right now we are all very fascinated by what he is doing,  are we not?  Hasn't everyone seen this clip already?  And then Ben Stiller's absolutely dead on impression at the Oscars.   

 

It has been very well documented that when Joaquin takes on a role he takes it on completely.  He never slips out of character.  He wants to be called by his character's name by everyone on set.  So when many an Italian intern was asked to fetch a cappuccino for Commodus - they were fetching it for Joaquin.  This thing he is pulling right now is quite the acting gig, eh?  Grizzly Adams beards are only for serious actors. 

Walk the Line is what sealed my love for Joaquin.  Of course,  Gladiator made us all take notice since he was so deliciously evil but Walk the Line was it.   I guess it was the combination of mystery, odd sex appeal and a little bit of danger that intrigued me.  I walked out of the theater and was hooked.   I don't know exactly what he did but he got me.  I loved Joaquin Phoenix. 

Well in late 2008 - he lost me.  No one really knows for sure if this is real or a hoax but please Joaquin...   You,  along with his co-conspirator Casey Affleck,  get this out of your system.  Get the music 'career' out of your system.  Get this documentary out of your system and go back to what you once were.   

And when you do you will justify my love.  Until then I think Commodus would give you his infamous thumbs down. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers