Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Catholic Awareness Day

After lunch today it was a rousing game of Spot the Catholic in the Loop. After I had already eaten my taco salad with chicken. Oops. Well chicken isn't meat right? It is poultry. So I am cool with the Holy Trinity right? Well just in case I said 2 Hail Marys and a Glory Be at my desk just to be sure... All is forgiven. A. Men.

Good Catholics are making their faith known all over their face today. Literally.

So Ash Wednesday. I always found Ash Wednesday to be an annoyance when I when going through my 12 years of Catholic education, especially in my younger years. We had to go to Mass of course and get the ashes, pray and reflect... etc. And then go straight back to the classroom and prepare to tell our teacher what it was we were giving up and how we best intended to fulfill our Lenten promises. Some said they would give up candy, pop, ice cream or TV but I am sorry none of kids I knew were going to give up watching Full House or reruns of Saved by the Bell. So people appeased the teacher and then stopped at Baskin Robbins on the way home. We were not on the spot here with this... we were prepared; it happened every year. Very little ever changes in Catholic grade school.

Another thing that bothered me in my younger years were those dang ashes themselves. I know we all had them on so us looking a little ridiculous was no big deal cause we all did. At least we weren't up there in front teaching the times tables with that stuff all over your face while 25 sets of young eyes stared at you. The thing that bugged me the most was the fact that I had bangs as a little kid. I got ashy bangs. Once I got to 4th grade I was growing those things out so this would no longer be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers